Thursday, April 21, 2011

Oooooh Pretty....

Hey everyone,
So I've been up to two things this week. The first is the poster for the CS and CG@Penn Poster sessions. If you would like to see the poster, come by the SIG Lab from 2:30 to 3:00 on April 28th.
The second thing I did this week was get Maya rendering to work. Thanks to Igor, I was able to quickly teach myself a little mel and keyframe all the points I needed. I wrote out all the vertices in a diagonal fold and unfold and brought them into Maya. I then created a quick paper shader and put the paper over a ground plane. The video is below:


So Joe complained that there was not memory feed back or a crease mark left in the paper. So I am currently rendering out a new version with both those things. I also tried to get a dual color going, but I could not get it to work how I wanted. So unless people know how to assign two different colors to a polygon, I think it will remain one color for now. I tried rendering out my dog, but it is having problems. I will try to deal with them before my presentation.

So while getting maya rendering work I believe I figured out how to use rotational springs to procedurally add memory to the lattice. I create a rotation spring along the exact same axis of the crease that generated the change in memory. Since my rotation springs allow for more than 2 particles to affect, I push an entire face of particles onto this new memory rotation spring. I set the rest angle to something between 0 and Pi. Since the torque generated on each point is dependent on the distance to the rotation axis, larger torques are given to points closer to the axis. So a smooth curve out is created. You can reverse the direction or the degree of the curvature by changing the angle. It looks like this:



This image also has my crease texture along the diagonal that I'll be using for the animation later.

So this weekend I will be preparing my presentation and making sure that is all in order. After that I will take a look at memory and physical properties again for my final report. Almost there!

No comments:

Post a Comment